Cleveland Astrophotography Workshop
Online lecture – June 7, 5:30 PM
SIGMA Ambassador Jack Fusco will be guiding you through the basics of astrophotography all the way up to some advanced techniques. Jack will also review some basic astronomy information that will help you plan and capture images of the stars.
What You Will Learn in this Lecture
- Gear – Everything you need before heading into the field.
- Planning & Scouting – Before we take a great image, we need to know when and where to take it.
- Camera Settings & Techniques – Learn how to best take advantage of your equipment and dial in your approach.
- Composition Tips – What makes a great astro photo?
- Shooting Styles – From single exposures to image stacking there are an endless variety of approaches when heading out under the stars. We will cover some of the most effective methods for capturing a great photo.
- Open Q & A + Discussion
If you are attending the in-person location sessions, please plan to attend this live presentation before we meet in the field. Viewing this information will help you get more out of the in-person experience!
ON LOCATION – June 9 – 10
Take these techniques on the road!
Jack will lead a group of photographers to a fantastic view of the night sky. While on location Jack will review techniques discussed during the lecture, by putting them into practice. We highly encourage you to attend the lecture, to help you be more prepared for the location experience.
Purchasing a ticket for the location sessions, includes both online sessions.
What You Will Learn
- We will meet on location with time to scout and plan compositions.
- Jack will share his personal approach to how he would plan an entire night to maximize his time shooting and ensure that he leaves with images he is excited about.
- The night will begin chasing as many Milky Way compositions and shooting techniques as possible and end with time to shoot star trails.
What You Should Bring
- A DSLR or Mirrorless Camera with manual settings
- A fast aperture lens
- Extra batteries (2 or more) and memory cards (64gb+)
- A sturdy tripod
- Shutter Release / Intervalometer
- Red light equipped headlamp, the red light will be less harsh on our eyes and help keep night vision intact!
- Warm clothing – Dress in layers to help stay warm
- Wear decent hiking shoes/boots to manage the terrain
SIGMA LOANER GEAR!
A selection of SIGMA lenses for attendees to use during the location outings each night.
About Jack Fusco
Jack Fusco is a professional landscape astrophotographer / timelapser. What began as a way purely to document his travels as a touring musician, photography has become his main form of creative expression.
Whether chasing the Milky Way along coast lines or capturing the Northern lights in unforgiving remote locations you’re sure to find him coffee in hand, smiling up at the stars.
Many of Jack’s images are often planned days, weeks, or even months in advance while waiting for weather and celestial objects to align. The resulting work shows a true and complete dedication to his craft.
His work has been featured by National Geographic, TEDx, LA Times, NASA APOD, BBC, Forbes and many more.